Brand South Australia has teamed up with the Australia Day Council to deliver the South Australian of the Year Awards.
The Australian of the Year Awards provides all Australians with the opportunity to recognise someone who makes them proud.
The awards are split into four categories:
- Australian of the Year
- Senior Australian of the Year (those aged 60 years or over)
- Young Australian of the Year (ages 16 to 30)
- Australia's Local Hero
The Awards operates at two levels - State/Territory and National. The State/Territory selection committees select four finalists for each award category, with one of these finalists becoming the State/Territory Award recipient. The State/Territory Award recipients then become the National finalists for the awards.
The four Australian of the Year - South Australia recipients were announced on 8 November 2016. They will represent the State at the National Awards on Australia Day 2017.
2017 SA AUSTRALIAN OF THE YEAR
Kate Swaffer – Dementia advocate (Wattle Park)
- Zita Ngor – Community Advocate (Salisbury Heights)
- Professor Emeritus Alan Reid AM – Educator (Malvern)
- Dr Philip Tideman – Cardiologist (North Adelaide)
2017 SA SENIOR AUSTRALIAN OF THE YEAR
Patricia Buckskin – Educator (Para Hills West)
- Nouha Jaber – Community volunteer (Linden Park)
- Vilmos Milisits OAM – Businessman and philanthropist (Unley Park)
- Mary Safe – Cycling safety champion (West Lakes)
2017 SA YOUNG AUSTRALIAN OF THE YEAR
Paul Vasileff – Fashion designer (Seaton)
- Mathew D’Onofrio – Health and safety entrepreneur (Unley)
- William Russell – Anti-bullying crusader (Findon)
- Amy Rust – Champion for homeless women (Seaview Downs)
2017 SA LOCAL HERO
Reginald George Heading – Agriculturalist (St Peters)
- Caz Bosch – Volunteer (Millswood)
- Linda Fisk – Women prisoners advocate (Wellend)
- Sarah Powell – Rural community champion (Wharminda)
Nominating for Australian of the Year Awards
Being nominated for the Australian of the Year Awards is a great honour, and every year 128 remarkable Australians from across the country are recognised.
You can nominate a friend, family member, community leader, colleague or even someone you don't know – any Australian who inspires you.
One nomination is all it takes to shine a light on an Australian you admire.
It’s easy to nominate - just tell us who they are, what they’ve achieved and why you’d like to see them recognised.
Nominations for the 2018 Awards are now open
If you require assistance submitting a nomination, please call 1300 655 193 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.